Mommy Fortuna Cosplay

For Dragon Con 2014, my husband and I dressed as characters from The Last Unicorn. I put my new sewing skills to the test!

1622263_10154644914760045_991420035656393325_n

He was Schmendrick the Magician (see a previous blog for details on making this one), and I was Mommy Fortuna.

20140803_184135

I pretty much followed patterns except for extending the length of the tunic. I also added the ribbed fabric for the sleeve cuffs.

20140803_114701

The cuffs looked good, but I should have included elastic! They were custom fit to my wrist, so I wasn’t able to push my sleeves up when I got warm. Oops.

20140807_223029.jpg

20140804_193923

The hat was the hard part. I started with a plain black ball cap purchased from Michael’s, and I used craft foam sheets (also from Michael’s). I cut the brim off the ball cap, and I liked that it was adjustable to my head, especially knowing there would be a wig involved.

I stapled the foam to the hat and used heat from the stovetop to gently melt and shape the pieces. This was challenging!

20140805_012505

I used a ball point pen to carve lines into the hat, trying to imitate wood grain.

20140805_183648

Here’s a test piece – I ended up using brown puffy paint to give it a more textured look, and I painted over it with black and brown.

20140827_212641

Added a few more branches and the crow. I used Elmer’s glue to attach the other branches (pinned in place with quilting pins until dry). I should have reinforced the top of the hat with something firm inside – it ended up drooping a lot when I wore it. It was fine at first, but as it got warm in the summer heat, the material relaxed.

20140805_212947

These are styrofoam balls painted with nail polish.

20140829_125122

The bone necklace is also craft foam.

20140829_125147

 

Schmendrick Cosplay

One of our cosplay choices for Dragon Con 2014 was a couple of characters from The Last Unicorn, Schmendrick and Mommy Fortuna.

My husband agreed to dress as Schmendrick the Magician. I loosely followed a pattern (Simplicity 4059 Renaissance Costume Collection) to get the general shape down. I I hand-dyed the fuzz on the shoulders (I think it was just white fur from Michael’s). And for the hat, I used Simplicity 1582 and didn’t add a brim. I added pockets for his convenience, and the leggings are store-bought. The nose is a “sultan style” prosthetic, and we added some Ben Nye makeup to try to blend it his face.

20140829_180744

20140811_19220320140820_14094220140821_153008.jpg

20140821_152731.jpg20140821_1544321622263_10154644914760045_991420035656393325_n