Satsuki Jewel Quilt

I’d like to blog about my current project(s), but I feel like I need to catch up on old stuff first! So here’s another one I started in early 2015. I bought a layer cake of Robert Kaufman Satsuki Jewel, thinking it would make a lovely quilt for a wedding gift. I’d also been wanting to try out an altered squares pattern.

20150331_23053320150331_232334

20150407_220657

I cut each square into 4 pieces – either equal squares or triangles.

20150405_002452

20150413_211952IMG_0280

The fabric is pretty, but I really wasn’t crazy about the way this was coming together. Too patchy – I think the fabric needed something a little more orderly.

IMG_0283 (1)

I used this fabric for border and backing. This is another mistake I learned from – it’s best for bordering colors to go from lightest to dark, not darkest to lightest as I did.

IMG_0292

IMG_0298 (1)

Quilt sandwich, first layer

IMG_0300

IMG_0307

Quilted with free motion meandering pattern

IMG_0308 (1)

A full layer cake pack makes a big quilt!

IMG_0313 (1)

IMG_0332IMG_0495 (1)

IMG_0549 (1)

I always have helpers for hand sewing the binding

IMG_0716IMG_0721IMG_0732 (1)IMG_0735

I realized early on that this wasn’t the quilt I wanted to give as a wedding gift and started another project that I loved! (hate to say I’m so disappointed in this one, but it was another good learning experience).

My 2nd Quilt (completed April 2014)

I bought fabric for my second quilt while I was still working on the first one. It was a kit from Crafsty.com for a mystery quilt using Robert Kaufman fabric. It included a jelly roll, a charm pack, and some yardage.

There were directions for how to put it together, but no pictures of the finished product (thus the mystery). Neat idea, but probably not so bright for a beginner like me who had no experience with following a quilt pattern. Also, it was labeled as an intermediate project.

So much cutting…

Oh so satisfying as things started to come together

Clearly not perfect, but I was pretty excited about how things came together. I have a better understanding now of how to make seams and points come out prettier.

The quilting process for this one was so much easier than it was on the fleece quilt, but I did struggle with keeping a straight line on my ditch stitching.

I ended up doing more of a top stitch around the stars where the stitching was clearly visible, because I thought it looked better than my uneven attempts at ditch stitching.

I’m very proud of the finished product! I’m not crazy about the background fabric color, but I love this quilt more every time I see it. It was so much work, and at the time I swore I’d never do another project that had so many little tiny pieces.

While putting this quilt together, I was also learning free motion quilting (seemed like a good idea after my frustration with ditch stitching). I used leftover fabric from this quilt kit to make this little purse, and it’s the first project I used free motion quilting on.